How To Embed Flash Files Into Blogspot/Blogger


Pin It

The December issue of Kadzilla's Lounge was quiet educative for me. I got to learn how we can embed Flash files (the ones with .SWF extensions) into a blog post at Blogger/blogspot. I was familiar with embedding videos from YouTube... the embed code is given below each video and you simply need to copy it from there and paste into Blogger's "Edit Html" tab. But embedding Flash files was slightly different.


The screen shot above has been taken from our last month's Lateral Thinking Puzzle. You can click on the link for that post to see the embedded flash file in action. You can also view this post on my own blog where I have embedded a different .SWF file which is quite entertaining... "Animator Vs. Animation - Alan Becker". Here is a screen shot of that post too.



This is the code that you need to use if you ever wish to embed a flash (.SWF) file in a blogger post. Just replace the "SOURCE SWF URL" with the complete URL of the file you want to embed. And replace the "HT" and "WD" with the required height and width settings that will fit most appropriately in your blog's post section. All these three parameters are mentioned twice in the code. So make sure you give their values at both occurrences.

<object height="HT" width="WD">
<param value="SOURCE SWF URL" name="movie">
<embed src="SOURCE SWF URL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="HT" width="WD"></embed>
</object>

An important thing to note here... when I embedded the flash file in that Lateral Puzzle post last month, I later discovered it wouldn't show up in the published post, even though it was working fine in the post preview of blogger. After much research on Google, I discovered that the file I was embedding was actually hosted on Google sites, and apparently, blogger no longer works for (supports?) such files hosted on Google sites.

So I eventually had to download that flash file to my own computer first, and then upload it on the third-party hosting I use for my files. It started showing up in the post only after that. But the SWF file that I embedded on my own blog was hosted on Deviantart, which gave no such problems. So you just need to make sure that the file you are trying to embed is not hosted on google sites. And you should be all set to go with the code given above.


EDITOR'S RECOMMENDATION: Adding Animated .GIFs to Blogger



Pin It




Get FREE updates automatically
Follow RSS Twitter FaceBook


2 comments:

P V Ariel said...

Hi Kaddu
Good to be here,
Happy to note about this tip.
Thanks for sharing this,
I am here via Jidhu jose's page
Keep inform
Best Regards
Philip Ariel

June 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Chicky a.k.a. Kaddu said...

You're welcome, PV :)

July 29, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Post a Comment

 

© 2010-2015 · All rights reserved with Kadzilla's Lounge.

Concept, design, layout, graphics and template by Kasin Websoft.