Top 5 Blogger Widgets for Increasing Pageviews


Pin It

Once again I have been playing around with the template of my blog - 'miss_teerious'! It's amazing what all you can do if you know a bit of CSS! Even though there are thousands of free blogger templates available now on the net, knowledge of CSS allows me to add literally any new feature to the classic old lighthouse template of blogger, that I'm still using on my blog! And this time, my focus for all the recent changes was to increase pageviews of my blog.


The basic idea behind getting more pages viewed by your readers is to make your content more visible. And since I don't sport any advertising on my personal blog, I have all the sidebar space available for showcasing my content in various possible ways. These are the widgets that make my top 5 list for increasing pageviews on blogger.

1. Related Posts Widget

There are some third party JavaScript widgets for adding a related posts footer below each of your post -- with or without thumbnails, whatever way you prefer -- but, I have found the LinkWithin widget to work fine for me. You can check it out at the bottom of this post too. I use it both in my personal blog as well as this magazine. LinkWithin lets you configure how many related posts you want to display -- I have set it to 5 because I'm using a wide display template.

2. Summary Posts on Main Page

Up until now, I used to display full posts on the main page of my blog. The drawback was that my posts are usually quite lengthy, and it used to make for a lot of scrolling on the part of my readers. Also, even though the average time on my site was pretty decent, the bounce rate was very high. In simple words, "bounce rate" just indicates how many visitors left without clicking a second link within your blog while they were here. Having summary posts on the main page gives me the option of displaying more posts to my readers. They can scan through the excerpts and click-through to read whichever article they like. More choice for them, more page views for me. The summary posts format also shows up for any label/tag searches on the blog.

Example: Try searching for Blogosphere here.

3. Popular Posts Widget

You don't need to look for any third party widget now for adding a Popular Posts section in your blogger blog. The widget is there in the official blogger gadget list now. You can configure it to show the popular posts based on the page views of last 7 days, 30 days or all time. You can also select whether you want to show a thumbnail or a post snippet along with the post title. I have kept it as a simple link list on my blog. Will add it to Kadzilla's Lounge too very soon.

4. Recent Posts Widget

It is always good to let your readers know what you have penned down recently. I find it very annoying when some bloggers don't let you see anywhere about their new posts. I do a lot of random blog surfing when I'm free. And if I see a clearly visible list in the sidebar, displaying the titles of the recent posts on that blog, chances are that I would check out another post or two. I don't have this widget on my blog because I have set my blog archive to show post titles. Adding another Recent Posts widget would have just led to redundancy. But for bloggers who like to have a drop-down archive or monthly compressed archives, this widget is a must. This widget is also available within blogger now. Just click on "Add a Gadget" and then "Featured" on the left. The monthly format of this magazine, however, makes the Recent Posts Widget pretty much useless here.

5. Random Posts Widget

Apparently, the Random Posts widget was also added by Blogger at some point of time, but it isn't showing in my "Add a Gadget" now. Maybe they have removed it. Maybe it's there in Blogger Draft. I don't really know. Anyways, I found it at Blogger Plugins -- there is a button at the end of this post there, that lets you "Add to Blogger". It is supposed to inherit the styles etc. from your own blog, but for some weird reason, it wouldn't pick up the styles of my blog. Also, it uses prefs for styling instead of CSS. So I couldn't change the code internally. However, I found a direct JavaScript widget at Blogger Stop, and that's the one I have used on my blog, with some additional styling of course. You can try them both and see which one works best for you. I'll soon be adding the Random Posts section too, to Kadzilla's Lounge.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Also recommended "7 Must-Have Blog Elements And Their Placement"

So friends, in my opinion, these are the top 5 Blogger Widgets for increasing pageviews, by making more of your content visible to your visitors. Of course, a lot of new stuff is happening in the blog world every day, so perhaps this list might change in the future. But as of now, I'm pretty happy with whatever work I've done on my own blog. If anybody needs any help in installing these gadgets/widgets/features to their Blogspot blog, shoot me an email. All my contact options are more visible than ever before now.



Pin It




Get FREE updates automatically
Follow RSS Twitter FaceBook


2 comments:

Carlo said...

Nice post! I have to thank you for this tips. I have just put a linkwithin widget aand applied the "read more" solution and I am pretty satisfied with the result: http://www.happysysadm.com/
What do you think?
Thanks!!!
Carlo

December 2, 2010 at 7:39 PM
Kaddu said...

Thanks for your comments Carlo. Glad you found this post useful. Do check out the other posts in this section too. Next issue of the magazine will be published tomorrow.

December 2, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Post a Comment

 

© 2010-2015 · All rights reserved with Kadzilla's Lounge.

Concept, design, layout, graphics and template by Kasin Websoft.